Conflict Resolution at Work
Work-place conflicts are costly when they are not resolved. A study* shows that in the US employees spend 2.8 hours per week dealing with conflict, which amounts to 385 million working days. In Denmark, the average is 1.8 hours spent per week. Besides lost productive time poorly handled conflicts also create stress, poor cooperation, higher levels of sick leave, low levels of job satisfaction and higher levels of staff turnover.
The Danish Centre for Conflict Resolution (DCCR) organises conflict resolution courses for international staff working in Denmark and for mixed teams of international-Danish employees. The courses target both private and public organisations. The content will be tailor-made in dialogue with the costumer in order to suit the specific needs of the participants and the organisation.
The objective of the course is to enable the participants to strengthen their ability to prevent and resolve conflicts at their workplace and thereby improve cooperation and job-satisfaction.
The course will e.g. contain the following elements:
· Understanding conflict
· Understanding and identifying reactions in conflicts
· Danish workplace culture and conflicts related to cultural differences
· Exploring a different workplace culture
· Learning how to communicate in order to resolve or prevent conflicts combining listening, dialogue, empathy and negotiation skills
· Handling disagreements at meetings through inclusive decision-making processes
The DCCR didactics set the participants’ own challenges in focus by using their conflict experiences and cases during exercises and reflections. Additionally, theory and practise is linked by connecting relatively short lectures with practical exercises, role-plays, discussions and reflection.
The price depends on the number of participants and the depth and length of the course. Courses are typically from two to five days duration. The following are price examples:
· Three days with up to 15 participants (one trainer): 45.000 DKK equivalent to 1.000 DKK per day per participant with 15 participants
· Three days with 15 to 25 participants (two trainers): 90.000 DKK
· Two days with up to 15 participants (one trainer): 30.000 DKK
The prices exclude VAT, transportation of trainers, venue and refreshments.
The training can take place at the participants’ workplace or DCCR can organise a venue.
Since 1994, DCCR trainers have trained thousands of public and private sector managers and employees in the art of conflict resolution. Additionally, the trainers on this course are conversant with working in various English-speaking contexts in and outside Denmark.
If you are interested in a course please contact Bjørn Nygaard on +45 22259409 or bn(at)konfliktloesning.dk
*Workplace Conflict and how Businesses can Harness it to Thrive, CPP Inc., (2008)